Saturday, March 14, 2009

Training Begins!








So, I've been in Costa Rica for a few days. They have been very busy...learning more about Peace Corps, lots of icebreakers, getting to know my fellow volunteers/trainees, learning a little more about what my job will be.....etc, etc, etc. Everyone has been so awesome....I've been amazed at how similar and at the same time how varied everyone's experiences are, especially those in my project - Children, Youth and Families (from now on CYF). Above are pictures of the retreat center in Tres Rios where we are staying.


We got to meet the US ambassador to Costa Rica on Friday (above, left) so that was pretty neat. And then, Friday night, we broke up into groups and went to two little towns right outside of the retreat center. Our task was to get dinner for 3,000 colones (the local currency) which is equivilent to about $6. I am proud to say my group succeeded tremendously...we found a pizzaria where we got a huge pizza, huge soda and bread for 5 people for less than 2,000 colones each.
The Pizza Group


And Saturday was a big day: we got our host family assignment for training!!!! We live in small clusters of communities according to our projects. So...for the next 3 months, I will be living in San Antonio, a town about 1/2hr outside of San Jose. I live with a mom (Doña Ana) and her 5 kids!! They range in age from 25 to 5! They´re all so great....the 3 youngest asked question after question in rapid Spanish all night last night haha. So hopefully this means I´ll become awesome at Spanish really fast!

Roommates from Orientation Week

I don´t have internet in my house, by there is an internet cafe close by. You can call my host family´s phone, but only if you have a calling card. I´ll post the address and number when I have it.

Hope everyone´s doing well!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the Spanish, Nicole! I'm sure you'll pick it back up right away. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tree with the purple flowers is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete