Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Belated Easter! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Mine was very nice because we had off Thursday and Friday for Semana Santa (Holy Week). It was really nice to hang out with my family and relax. And I got to play a lot of Uno. My youngest brother found my cards and Uno cards and now the first thing he asks me when I come home is “Can we play?” and then he asks when we can play and if I have to do something else first he asks why we cant play first and then I go do what I have to. But its been really fun and its been a good way to integrate (integrate is another big thing for PC - to integrate into your family and community).

Easter Sunday I went to church with my family and afterwards there was a procession – complete with a band and a giant “float” of the risen Jesus (it was actually a statue on the back of a truck). There are a lot of processions here…on Friday I went to 2 and I’m sure there was one in almost every nearby town. The procession on Friday for Good Friday in San Antonio was really elaborate. There was at least 100 people taking part in the procession and several hundred more lining Calle Principal to watch. There was a large band, lots of girls dressed up as angels and other related characters, and two giant floats of the crucified Jesus and Mary. The procession went all the way from the Catholic church to the cemetery to “bury” Jesus…it was really interesting. Unfortunately, I didn’t bring my camera so I don’t have any pictures L

After church, I went with my family to a large park in the next town over and then we went out for pizza! Which was awesome because I had been really craving pizza the past couple of days! I think my host mom must have read my mind lol. And it was really good pizza too! It was a really good that unfortunately ended with a cockroach in my room hahah, but we won’t talk about that…

Also, on Saturday, a couple of us went to the house of another trainee and hung out with her family. We ended up teaching her parents how to play “Spoons” and everyone had a blast!

Training is going well….and good news…we’re already ½ way through! AND in just 3 weeks, I will know where my final site will be! So soon, I’ll know where I’ll be living for the next 2 years! Woohoo! Also, on Tuesday, we had our second Spanish language exam and I am happy to report that I have reached the level required to swear-in! I wasn’t really worried but it’s still nice to know I’m at the level I need to be. And, this Saturday is a dinner for all the volunteers in Costa Rica to say good bye to the out-going group and to welcome my group (Tico 19). It’s supposed to be a really good time and it will be nice to meet more current volunteers and get their stories and advice. And then, the next week, we go in groups to our tech visit, where we have to give a lesson/workshop to a group of youth or adults whom the volunteer there is working with. This will be really good to get an idea of how the work we will supposed to do in our future sites might actually go.

I know I have been slacking with the pictures and I will try to post more (especially from my site visit) really soon! I will also try to take pictures of San Antonio because I just realized that I haven’t taken any pictures of where I’m living lol. Hope everyone is well, post comments and send emails! Or real mail is great too…it only costs 90 cents! My address is:

PCT Nicole Noecker

Cuerpo de Paz

Apartado Postal 1266

1000 San Jose, Costa Rica

No comments:

Post a Comment